MXV's Jukebox

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Door Is Open

I've promised myself tons of times, over & over again not to write about racial issues in Malaysia, but I just couldn't help it after what happened last night. Gene' & I were playing DotA, & when the opponent team started losing, we saw profanities & racial remarks splurting out from the opponents. Common words & phrases like "cina babi" (Chinese are pigs) and stuffs like that. I'm truly disappointed with the kind of attitude we have despite living in a multi-racial country such as Malaysia.

First of all, I'm not making a statement that ALL Malaysians are racist. No. Not all Malays are racists, not all Chinese are racists, not all Indians are racists. I do have a few friendly & open-minded Malay friends that are really nice, and a couple of Indian friends which I still keep in touch with to date. They rarely or never bring up racial issues, an act which deserves my respects & praises. We are of different colours & we came from different backgrounds, yet we can still live in harmony & make good friends with each other. What I don't get is, majority of these racism practitioners are stubborn, comparable to that of my maid. Telling them not to be racist is impossible because it's in their blood to be racist. Telling my maid not to feed the stray cats is also impossible because she love cats (for some reason, I don't know why).

What I meant by 'it's in their blood' is that the way they were raised in their childhood. Parents play a big role in determining their children's future, and are also their role models. I dare you guys to not admit that for at least once in your life, your parents told you not to trust Indians because they are liars, not to believe in Chinese because they are cunning, or not to mix with Malays because they bring bad influences. Swear that in your God's name, can you? Of course you can't, because it's the truth. Yes, those advices by our parents are for our own good, but do note that this is the 21st century that we're living in. They were born in the Tunku Abdul Rahman's era, or V.T. Sambanthan's era. Not Yap Ah Loy's era, or else your parents are too old to be still living. We will have to be smart enough to differentiate & distinguish between the right & the wrong. I do recall my parents telling me not to mix with Indians, but I don't see any harm in making an extra friend & learning his culture. This continued until today where I had finally changed my parents' views on other races.

Malaysia is a racially-diversed, multi-religious society, where we DO need mutual respect from each other to keep the country peaceful & prosperous. To think of it, it's kinda lame when racism exists even in games. Gene' & I were bombarded by all the hurtful & unpleasant words throughout the game, yet we tried our best to remain silent. Where would you eventually get by arguing with racist brainless retards like them? Nowhere. It's a lose-lose situation, so why fight & argue when we know it'll be better if we respect each other? Regardless of skin colour, we're all human & are equal on the inside.

Please, READ the post over & over again, maybe a hundred times until you can memorise every single line of what I've wrote if your fingers are itching to post a comment inciting hatred & racism, although I doubt that the commentor will do it. I am prepared for your views on this issue, but please ensure that what you are about to say makes sense. I'm so tired of people commenting 'smartly', and when everything is explained to them there will be no response from them, not even an apology for starting a thread of dumb & untruthful comments before reading the post thoroughly. So let me apologise first if I've offended some of you through this post. I know I'm a little straightforward when it comes to blogging, but that's me & my thoughts & this is my blog about them.

Let's take a break with a slow song, just for today. The tone of the track is kinda sad, well matches my sad & emo mood.. Hmm.. The Door Is Open, by Øystein Sevåg. Yeah.. The door to my heart is always open to you, my dear.. Sigh.

-MXV-

No comments: