MXV's Jukebox

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sarabande

I stumbled across this meaningful poem in an article titled 'Why let a child suffer sins of adults?' in NST June 15, 2008;

I didn't marry you because you were perfect.
I didn't even marry you because I loved you.
I married you because you gave me a promise.
That promise made up for your faults.
And the promise I gave you made up for mine.
Two imperfect people got married and it was the promise that made the marriage.
And when our children were growing up, it wasn't a house that protected them; and it wasn't our love that protected them - it was that promise.

Thornton Niven Wilder (1897-1975)

Nowadays, people get married without thinking of the future of their children. They marry and divorce on their own free will, without a specific acceptable reason. Why tie the knot if you yourself know that you're not ready yet? Sometimes, I really don't understand what these people are up to. No, I'm not one of those that wants to stand out from the ordinary by NOT getting married, saying that marriages are not necessary and that marriage will only burden their private lives. Private lives?? What kind of private life will you have after you got married?? Just admit it; you can't live without flirting. If you ARE to get married, make sure you marry the one you really wanna spend the rest of your life with. We do make mistakes, and that is acceptable. But why don't we learn to tolerate instead of blaming each other? Our future children will either enjoy or suffer the consequences of what we're doing now. Yeah, refer to me as an old-fashioned blogger in the twenty-first century, but that's me.

Sarabande by Davide Sonar. Shuffle song again? Hmm..

-MXV-

No comments: