MXV's Jukebox

Sunday, November 2, 2008

To The One Who Knows

Things happen every now & then & it doesn't matter whether they're good or bad, they'll make you rethink or at least readjust your views on values of life. Example, a beggar may whine everyday about how his life sucked. And then, he striked the lottery, & life transformed into a wonderful paradise for him. What I'm trying to say here is, we're complaining too much about our lives.

I've noticed & learned it the hard way by going through a series of unfortunate events that happened. I was once a life enjoyer, & I'll comment harshly or complain on almost about everything that bothers me, or things that didn't live up to my expectations. Those bad experiences weren't there for nothing; I've at least learned to be contented with what I have. Friends & family that know me well will not expect that I will be finally admitting one of my biggest fault, my defect; indeed, I WAS a spendthrift. A lunch at T.G.I. Friday, a RM 40 high-tea at Starbucks, Premiere/Gold Class seats for movies at G.S.C., a RM 755 Swatch... Shits like that. After I was pickpocketed & robbed, which did caused some major loss & a big hole in my wallet (I'm just a student, a lost of around RM 3000 worth of cash & phones IS a lot to me), I became a cheapskate. I'd blog about every single time I went out, and regular readers would probably notice the decrease in my outings lately.

For friends & relatives, it's kinda weird to see me rejecting invitations to parties or outings, always with the same reason, "I'm broke lah". By rejecting them I've saved some cash for myself, at least RM 30 worth of petrol that could have been used to travel to & fro college everyday for a week or so. Yes, I'm transitioning from the high-flying, money-burning person I used to be to a thrifty money saver. The robbery & pickpocket incident actually got me thinking; were the robbers & thieves that poor to do all these shits when they can obtain a proper job with a proper salary? It's a fact that I doubt, but still there must be a reason why they are doing what they are doing. But for discussion purposes, let's take 'poor' as the factor. Let's just say that they're poor, and they couldn't find any job out there (which would be impossible). Now that ya'll have the slightest imagination of a helpless poor man with nobody to turn to, compare him to yourselves. If you are sitting at home in front of your 40-inch flat screen plasma monitor running on Pentium HexaCore with a 1 TB broadband connection viewing this blog, & yet you're still complaining about life, you're not appreciating life & better off dead.

So that's how I remind myself about how lucky am I to be living & eating well and having all the necessities I need. I do believe in a line which I suppose, applies to everybody. "If you're poor, work hard. If you're rich, work harder." Remember, guys. Life is not as bad as you think it is. As long as we try hard & work even harder to improve our lives, we're not living the worst yet. Always compare yourselves to the poorer or the disabled. Wait, the disabled? Even Stephen Hawking made it, why not you?

Let's re-calculate my loss so far: A whole box of computer stuffs; hard drives, RAMs, graphics card, modems worth close to RM 1,000, my Nokia N95 (RM 1,650) & Nokia 6500 (RM 750), cash of RM 600, bumper fix & repaint job (RM 400). It all comes to a total of about.. RM 4,400. So apparently, RM 4,400 taught me a lesson. Pricey. Heh. Cheapskate from now on!!

I was going through Wikipedia, discovering new things there when I came across two very interesting superstitious fear, Triskaidekaphobia (fear of number 13), and Tetraphobia (fear of number 4). It's funny how people are still superstitious in the 21st century, with Triskaidekaphobia a common fear in the Western countries & Tetraphobia in the Eastern countries. There was this picture of the buttons on a control panel in an elevator in Shanghai that caught my attention. See for yourself..


There are no floors number 4, 13 & 14. Also note that there's a button for -1 (negative first) floor. Interesting enough. I wonder if there're any elevators in Malaysia with a panel such as the one above?

That's all for this midnight/morning post. To The One Who Knows, by Yanni.

-MXV-

No comments: